Collect, Clean and Reuse






The homemade alternating current electric generator was built and successfully put out 1/2v of power. Although this is a mild success, it isn't quite what I was hoping would be the output after the project was complete. I have learned a lot about the intensity and concentrated amount of effort that goes into creating electricity and maintaining its flow over time. Inspired by my mild success, I was inspired by the last few days of rain to look further into the capabilities of our water collection device. As of yet, our single recycling bin has been the basis for our grey water collection, and by expanding the capability of this collection system we could potentially minimize our dish washing and toilet water consumption. The rain water that comes directly off of our roof isn't fit for washing dishes, but if we were able to direct that water into some kind of filtration system it could potentially begin to be used for a broader range of activities. And that is just what I am proposing to do. Educated by a few Internet sites and fueled by the left over money for the eco challenge, I set out to devise a way to undertake such a challenge. The way I propose to solve this design issue is with a quick sand filter aided by layers of burlap and aggregate. Three five gallon buckets will function as my rainwater collection (top bucket), filtration (middle bucket) and filtered water collection (third bucket). These will be stacked up one on top of the other and with any luck, we'll have more, cleaner water so that our townhouse can continue to limit our water consumption.

1 comment:

Ted said...

This looks brilliant Zach! I think it will work really well, expecially if we can put in a work order to have our spout shortened to the length you need to fit the bucket. I would be very glad to help you build this, if you need. I also want to be able to reimberse you before the 31st so we can add it to the receipts.

Great initative. Let's hope for great results!