Community Building through TV

Well guys this weekend was a tough one.  With midterms and mid-crits coming up tons of work needed to get done.  We were pretty much in our room all weekend working.  I utilized the library as much as possible to less the amount of electricity I was using, but this does not always work, due to the hours of operation and my work schedule.  Also the A&D center I have been using a lot more as well to complete work but models are easier to build in my room where there is more space to work and spread out.  Using the A&D center more cuts down on electricity wasted in our room, especially since they are open almost 24/7 (except for weekends of course).  It also allows me to interact with other students and really further my designs.  I can bounce ideas off of them and get good feedback about my work.  But a big thing this weekend was all the amazing sporting events on the television.  I have lived in IP for the three previous years to this one, and the way IP is set up it is much more household community oriented.  Living in the townhouses, everyone is in their own room doing their own thing, watching their own tv and so on.  The sense of household community is lost.  Well we got that back this weekend and every since this started.  When we have a television on it is the one in the living room only.  This weekend we bonded around this television watching many amazing sporting events.  This got us, as a townhouse community, closer together.  We watched television and did homework sitting down there together.  So even though we used up more electricity then we maybe would have liked, it definitely was not wasted.  It actually had a stronger power then just lighting up a screen, it brought 5 individuals together as one community in our townhouse.

No comments: