One of the projects that I have come up with for our townhouse is our own home grown power plant. A simple project that I've always been fascinated by is the creation of electricity. By simply turning a magnet inside of a coil of copper, an electric charge is created and can be then stored for later use. I have used some of the challenge money to purchase some ceramic magnets as well as some copper, the rest of the materials such as a wood frame and handle will be reused scrap from the wood shop in Weber Hall and the copper is going to come from an old extension cord that was thrown away and retrieved. After I have constructed the generator, a capacitor will have to be purchased as well as a small voltage transformer so that the energy stored in the capacitor won't fry my phone or other small appliance. Hopefully, this experiment will be something that can shave off a little portion of our energy consumption. Every little bit counts!

No comments: